2. You also have a working age claim if:
- you are a couple and both of you are under pension age; or
- you are a couple and (from 15th May 2019) one of you is under pension age.
Significance for HB/UC
3. HB helps pay the rent for:
- existing working-age claimants who haven’t yet transferred to UC; and
- new working age claimants who
- live in specified accommodation or
- are homeless and the council has placed you in temporary accommodation; or
- qualify as severely disabled (until 26 January 2021).
4. You normally qualify as severely disabled if you currently receive the Severe Disability Premium within your existing benefits.
5. You typically receive Severe Disability Premium if you receive one of the following benefits :
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component at the middle or higher rate;
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component at the standard or enhance rate;
- Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance;
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).
6. If you have a pension age claim HB is available to help you pay your rent (subject to a test of your resources).