1. You are of working age if you are under state pension age. Pension age is 65 (on 6th December 2018) rising to 66 (on 6th September 2020). During this benefit year (2019-20) pension age is rising from 65¼ to 65½.
2. You also have a working age claim if:
- you are a couple and both of you are under pension age; or
- you are a couple and (from 15th May 2019) one of you is under pension age.
Significance for HB/UC
3. HB helps pay the rent for working-age claimants who haven’t yet transferred to UC or who live in specified accommodation or temporary accommodation. If you are of pension age HB helps you pay your rent.